Taipei, June 28 (CNA) Interactions between Taiwan and China have not been completely cut off, and the government is making efforts to reach out to China, Premier Lin Chuan (林全) said Tuesday.
Lin made the remarks in a legislative session when asked by Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Kuo-shu (黃國書) if it is true that the cross-Taiwan Strait communication mechanism has been suspended since the new government was sworn in last month, and what the administration plans to do about it.
An Fengshan (安峰山), a spokesman for China’s Taiwan Affairs Office, said June 25 that the mechanism for contact and communication between China and Taiwan has been suspended since May 20, as the new administration does not recognize the “1992 Consensus,” which he said is the political foundation for cross-strait relations and embodies the one-China principle.
Lin said Tuesday that there are many forms of interaction across the Taiwan Strait and he expressed hope that the two sides can facilitate closer interactions with each other in a rational, equal and dignified manner.
He said the government is making efforts to interact with and understand China, but good communication requires mutual efforts and cannot be one-sided.
“It is not as pessimistic as you say. It is not like there is zero interaction,” Lin told the lawmaker.
Meanwhile, when another lawmaker asked what the conditions for suspending the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) between Taiwan and China are, Lin said the possibility of suspending the pact could arise when the cons of the pact outweigh its pros. He did not elaborate.